The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Surviving the Weekend

The good news is that I'm updating the blog which means that I'm still alive (as are the children!) after 4 days on our own. Holy Bazinga I could not pull off the single parent gig, MAD PROPS to all of the single parents out there. I am EXHAUSTED! It is seriously tough being the 24 hour entertainment staff and police all alone. The kids have been great and we've had a lot of fun but I know I'll be just as excited as Stella when "Kitty" and "G"arrive tomorrow (otherwise known as, my parents!). Safety in numbers!

It's Father's Day, ironic, no? I know Steve is having a blast in Scotland, we've had a chance to Skype a few times (isn't technology just crazy cool when it works?). They've been experiencing "authentic" Scottish golf with driving rains, 40+mph winds and temps in the 50's. Gee, wish I was there...(not really). My idea of experiencing Soctland involves staying in a castle (with modern conveniences, of course!), chatting with the locals and obviously checking out the pub scene. I really would like to see Edinburgh and it's heaping serving of history. I am a history buff and that ranks right up there as fascinating for me.

Today I have been married to Steve for six years (poor guy!). I always enjoy thinking back to our big day and I still think it was perfect. I met Steve my freshman year at Virginia Tech while visiting a good friend. I went to JMU by the way, Go Dukes!! We hit it off right away but didn't actually start seeing each other until the following fall. We were never serious during our college years but he was always the guy I compared every other guy to. After school we did start dating serisouly but in true Steve fashion (he never rushes ANYTHING) that meant YEARS of dating. He decided to attend Georgia Tech to get his MBA and I stayed in in Virginia to finish up my Masters at UVA (and continue teaching). Fast forward to spring 2005, we got engaged and then married on June 17, 2006. The past six years have seen many ups and down but I can't imagine sharing it with anyone else. Of course this year has special meaning as we've added battling cancer (and winning!) to our list. We may not be together to celebrate today but that's okay because honestly, I'm just happy to be able to able to celebrate at all. For better or for worse, in sickness and in health, the meaning of our vows is so much more poignant now and I'm grateful for that. I'm looking forward to 50 more years of celebrating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment