The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Monday, June 11, 2012

Silence is Golden!

Most of the time, life is just full of irony. Sometimes I think it's funny, at the moment...not so much. What on earth am I talking about? Remember that cold I mentioned? Well, it's mostly gone and it took my voice with it. Freaking awesome. NOT. Why is losing my voice such a big deal? Only because I have 50,000 appointments to schedule and no one can hear me! Gah, I'm so frustrated!

I had an appointment today at the oncologists office to check my vitals and bloodwork. They were only mildly freaked out at my lack of a voice. I did manage to talk the nurse into letting me leave and honestly, I really don't feel bad, I just can't talk. Steve might even agree that this is a welcome break :) To add another layer of chaos to my day, I had to bring the kids with me. Luckily, they were very well behaved and managed to charm just about everyone. I know I shouldn't complain and really I'm not, but how come they're not perfect children at home?!?!? Anyway, while we were waiting I had a chance to chat with some of the Monday crowd. What's the Monday crowd? That would be the group that gets chemo on Mondays. Kate and I are members of the Friday crowd. In fact, Kate and I could almost be the same person, so close are our appointments and treatments. It's gotten so the staff asks if something is wrong if we're not together - it's funny :) And...I'm WAY off topic yet again. My point was that it was interesting chatting with some of the other patients. The women I spoke with both have had completely opposite experiences than me. They were both very, very ill with chemo and spent most of it in the hospital. I honestly can't even imagine how awful it must be for them. Chatting with them made me even more grateful for my very positive cancer experience. Yes, it's been a serious pain in the toosh, but overall, it's been tolerable and I've met some amazing people. I refer to them as my Cancer Friends which I guess sounds somewhat morbid, but in reality that is how we all met.

The big news of the day is that my surgery is officially on the books. I'll be having my double mastectomy on July 2, happy Independence Day to me! I will be managing to ruin yet another holiday for my family (it's becoming a tradition!) but honestly, I can't wait to have the surgery and move on. Oh, and yes, trying to set that up over the phone today was comical considering I have no voice... On that note, I'm going to go and make myself some hot tea (totally unappetizing considering the humidity today in Atlanta is like 467%) to try and convince my voice to return. Until then, "Silence is Golden!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment