The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

"Cancer Spinach"

No, I haven't lost my mind (yet). Surely I must have because that post title makes noooooo sense. True, but it makes me laugh and that's the point. We had a GREAT weekend, spending time with friends and relaxing. I'll get to the cancer spinach at some point in this post.

Thursday night I went to dinner with my two closest girlfriends here in Atlanta and it was fabulous! Nevermind that it's taken us FOREVER to try and get together, it didn't matter. The night was perfect and just what I needed after a somewhat rough week. It's amazing how good friends and wine make everything better :)

On Friday night we decided to do family pizza night at Mellow Mushroom (excellent pizza for those of you not local). We had a lot of fun. Stella LOVES pizza and salad (is that strange? I mean, the kid will eat an entire bowl of salad if given the opportunity), so she was in her element. It was nice to get out of the house and watch other families have fun and chaos too. Simon slept through the event but that's okay!

Saturday night we went over to our very good friends (heck, they're family to us) for dinner. It was a beautiful evening, so we spent time relaxing (drinking wine) and watching the kids play. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have nights like this, where life is good, the company exceptional and the food (and wine) out of this world. It felt so good to be "normal". I think maybe the most important aspect of our friends is that we CAN talk about the cancer if it comes up. Our friends aren't afraid to ask how I'm doing or what the latest news is regarding my treatment. And yup, we laughed about cancer. GASP! In fact, it's safe to say we laughed our asses off. That's how cancer spinach came up. Maybe we all should eat more spinach. Who knows, it may be that spinach is the cure for cancer (which if that is the case, then I'm well on my way to being cured!).

Sunday evening we also spent with some friends for a yummy BBQ. Stella enjoyed a weekend filled with kids and backyard play sets - we're going to have to figure something out soon for our backyard! She's getting to be such a big kid, climbing on her own, going down the big slide and going down the steps on her own (what?!?!? when did she learn how to do that?).

Monday I took the kids to the zoo to meet up with a friend and her little girl. Did I mention that it was 500 degrees? This weather is crazy, but we had fun. Stella just adores the "elfants" and "zeeras". Simon made his debut in the big boy seat in the stroller and seemed to be quite happy. We and the 45 elementry schools that were there (can you say holy insanity batman?) enjoyed watching the animals. I was also quite proud of myself for navigating us there and back with no major detours. Atlanta is so much easier to navigate than DC!

So, yes, we've been a little busy. I don't have time for cancer, there's just so much to do. Summer time is here and not a minute to waste! Tomorrow I meet with the breast surgeon and we'll have some updates, hopefully good ones. Fingers and toes crossed and I'm eating my spinach tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment