The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Fairy Grandmother

Ahem! **steps up to microphone** I have an announcement! (By the way, the 4-H camp Announcement Song still zooms through my head everytime I say that!). My visit with the breast surgeon yesterday was nothing but GOOD NEWS! Great news, in fact! Kyle has headed for the hills and to quote my doctor, "Your boobs look totally normal now". She even did a happy dance during our consult! So, yes, to say that she is pleased with my progress would be an understatement. I can't officially say that I am cancer free yet (I haven't completed my treatments, only two more chemos to go!)  but I'm THIS close! It was a little overwhleming in the sense that now we have the cancer under control it's time to move forward (always a good thing!) and talk surgery and radiation. In reality, I still have a long way to go, but at least it'll be without cancer. YAY! I have to mention again how amazing my doctors are, I think realistically because they are all friends. Like Christina and Meredith from Grey's...seriously. They all did their residencies together and I think that's awesome. So, the plastic surgeon I'm seeing is a very good friend of my breast surgeon (she called the plastic surgeon on her cell phone during my consult yesterday to see if I could just walk over and see her... and I did!). I really have appreciated the team approach to my treatment, it makes things so much easier when everyone is on the same page. So, lots of questions answered yesterday. It looks like I'll be having a double mastectomy (my choice, but very much supported by all of my doctors as I am so young) very end of June or beginning of July. I won't be able to do reconstruction right away because I still have to do radiation (the new tissue will not be strong enough to support radiation). Reconstruction will happen about four months after I finish radiation. So, a long way to go, but I'm okay with that.

I'll be honest and say that yesterday started off bad, really bad. Before I'd even gotten out of bed I managed to knock an entire glass of water off of my nighstand. Freaking fantastic! I love beginning my day mopping the damn floor. Things pretty much went downhill from there. As you can imagine, I was taking all of these "events" as a bad sign for my doctor's visit (which of course I was late for). By far the worst part of the day was my grandmother passing away. It wasn't completely unexpected, but sudden. I say sudden because we were actually supposed to fly up to Virginia Beach this weekend to celebrate her 100th birthday, complete with a party and a Riley family reunion. I'm so bummed that she didn't make it to 100, literally days away. However, I know she's in a much better place and if you'd ever met Ruby, (ever the Colonel's wife) then you know that it was always her way or the highway :). She really didn't want a100th birthday party, so this was a helluva way to get out of it ;) I'm a little sad that she didn't have a chance to meet Simon but I know she was thrilled to have a great grandson. Simon's middle name is Anderson, which was my grandmother's maiden name. Being mostly Irish, my sentimental soul takes great meaning from her passing yesterday. I 1,000% believe that she was watching over me yesterday, perhaps her first assignment in her new life. While she can't be with me in person, she's watching over me from above and I take great comfort in that. Her official status will be my Fairy Grandmother from now on. So, thank you Grandmommy for granting the greatest wish I could ever ask for, to be cancer free and watch my babies grow up!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful news, Erin! I was very happy to hear this yesterday evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute to your grandmother. She would love it!

    ReplyDelete