The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Little Things

Well, hello there! I'm here, the chemo fog is slowly starting to lift and I'm beginning to feel somewhat like myself again. I may be kicking Kyle's ass, but chemo is for sure kicking MY ass at this point. Not to worry, I'm okay but I am definitely reeling a bit after round 5. It's interesting, I don't feel any worse than I did for the other rounds of chemo, but the side effects are coming on more quickly and lasting longer, how nice! Round 5 has been a reality check that realistically, I probably needed. I really have had a pretty easy go as far as treatment and cancer but I don't enjoy being reminded that I still have battles to be fought. Being completely honest, I think this round has been emotionally harder than anything else. Yes, I'm so close to being done with this part and yet it feels like I have such a long way to go. It's sort of like being knocked down repeatedly by waves at the beach. Just when you think you've got your bearings, whoosh, another wave comes to knock you back to reality. I have to admit that I am very frustrated with the way I feel, I so desperately just want to feel like myself (potentially dangerous!). It seems silly, but I am so looking forward to waking up in the morning and being ready to get a days work done in a day. Oh wait, I never felt that way before cancer, so that's probably overshooting things a little (okay, a lot!) but you get my point. I can't wait to go up and down the stairs without feeling like I need oxygen or emptying the dishwasher and feeling like I've earned a gold medal. Yes, it's the little things, but I can't wait to feel human again!

I had a wonderful visit with a good friend today that was just what the doctor ordered! It may not seem like much, but just being with friends, having a chance to chat is so uplifting. I feel 100 times better this afternoon than I did this morning and I'm so grateful to have such amazing people surrounding me. From the beginning I knew I wasn't going to take this journey on my own, but it's important for me to say just how much my friends and family mean to me, how essential everyone has been in my healing and getting better.

Round 5 of chemo was as expected. Another good visit with the oncologist and confriming that I will be on Herceptin until the one year mark of my diagnosis. This was expected news and I'm happy that the drug is doing what it's designed to do. Kate and I had lots of time to chat and play scrabble. We're getting pretty good, so watch out! There's also been some drama amongst the staff so we had plenty of time to chat and speculate about the goings on :) All in all, uneventful but productive I guess. We had a nice relaxing mother's day at home which was perfect. Stella even got to have her beloved "enuts" (donuts). There's not much more entertaining than watching a toddler pick off every.single.sprinkle on a donut :)


No comments:

Post a Comment