The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Friday, February 10, 2012

Human Pin Cushion

Yay, it's Friday and all of my testing is finally finished! Thursday was a very long day. I had my port insertion and a PET scan (the first of many). If you've met me, then you know that I am normally fairly organized and well researched on whatever it is I am going to do. In other words, I'm a planner. It makes Steve crazy. However, since my diagnosis (well, let's be real, since I had Simon) I have been flying by the seat of my pants and I'm lucky if I know what day of the week it is. So, I was COMPLETELY unprepared for my port insertion. It's not that I didn't think it would be a big deal, I just didn't realize it required actual surgery...whoops! So, I went by myself. After I checked in, they took me to a pre-op room. I was still somewhat oblivious, probably because I wasn't allowed to eat anything after midnight. Not eating was also most likely the reason for me almost passing out when they put the IV in. Strange, because I never have a problem with IVs (I've had more than a few with both pregnancies and the drama that ensued). I didn't really think much about anything because I've been really trying hard to "go with the flow" in all that's been going on for the past week. I didn't realize I was having surgery until I walked into the OR. Then I was like, "Oh crap, I'm having surgery and I didn't even know it!". At least when I made a joke about not letting me run away when they taped me down to the table, the nurse laughed. And, while lying there all I could think about was that the operating room didn't look much like the one's on Grey's...

The surgery was quick and painless. I was actually awake but completely out of it, sort of like being on my 4th glass of wine ( or so), I felt great! They did "twilight anesthesia" and a sedative, so no wonder I felt like a million bucks. I was lucky enough to be taken right to my PET scan after the surgery so I didn't have to wait around. The PET scan was easy, much more pleasant than an MRI.

I was amazed at how good I felt until the drugs started to wear off. By the time we arrived home, I felt like I had been hit by a truck. Welcome anesthesia hangover! Seriously, one of the worst headaches I've ever had. It's my personal belief that if I have to have a headache that bad, I should have had enough fun (read: wine) to derserve it. Oh, and the port was placed right under my collarbone. The pain was almost identical to when I actually broke my collarbone in the car accident from 4 years ago. Super! The percocet was kind enough to help with the shoulder pain and I slept off the headache. I'm happy to report I'm feeling almost normal today.

Today I had another blood draw (at the rate they're taking my blood, I'm not going to have any left) and an ECHO. Both were easy and quick and I even managed to squeeze in a quick visit to a friend being held captive in labor and delivery. The good news is that I've spent so much time at Northside Hospital in the past two years, that I know every inch of the building. I even know how to score the best parking rates. Maybe that's just sad...

On my way home, I stopped by the dermatologist to have my original biopsy site stitches removed. It was strange walking in, my entire world had changed drastically in the week since I'd been there. Both the nurse and dermatologist were waiting for me with hugs, eager for news. It was kind of nice to have them so anxious to know how things were going. I thanked them for the early catch, told them my prognosis is good. I felt like we were old friends, chatting and catching up. Funny how cancer does that, makes you appreciate the little details. As I was leaving, my dermatologist told me she was crying when she recieved my biopsy results. She's my age and she has a two year old, so she could totally relate. "I'm amazed at your positive attitude" she said. "You seem so calm and driven". Well, I have to be. I have a two year old too...

No comments:

Post a Comment