The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Cancerversary

Today is my cancerversary - exactly one year ago today I was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. My, oh my, how time flies when you're having fun ;) In many ways it's hard to believe that it's already been a year but most of the time, I'm so annoyed to have spent a year of my life (not to mention how it's affected my family and friends) dealing with this mess. The good news (well, it's the best news, really) is that I'm still here! When I was first diagnosed we really weren't sure if I would make it through the treatments. Yes, that sounds dire and very negative, but truthfully, IBC typically doesn't have a great outcome. To say that I am lucky would be a gross underexaggeration. I am so, so, so very fortunate to have received the medical care that I needed (immediately) and amazing doctors who weren't afraid of a challenge. The fact that my body responded so well to treatment is most definitely an added bonus.

Many people have asked me how I've remained so positive along the way. While I am flattered to have presented myself that way, I'm also able to admit that I'm human. Of course I've had my bad days and still do. There are days when my worries about Kyle coming back have consumed my thoughts and I can't think about anything else. The mental battle of beating cancer has been so much more challenging for me than the physical battle. But, I'm happy to share a few things that have helped me along the way.

Don't be afraid to lean. This is applicable to any tough situation, cancer or not. Friends and family WANT to help, so let them. This was really hard for me, as I am an independent person who HATES to feel like a burden. I would so much rather be the helper than the helpee! But, it also felt so good to know that I could lean on family and friends when needed.

A day at a time. And, if we're being realistic, sometimes it was an hour at a time. When things are really tough, it really helps to just focus on getting through the day (or hour, however much you need to slow it down). Focus on today and don't stress too much about tomorrow, next week or next year. The truth is, no one knows what tomorrow will bring and worrying yourself sick about it doesn't help anything.

Be an overachiever. After overcoming the initial shock of my diagnosis (which took awhile), I decided that I would educate myself on everything there was to know about my cancer and breast cancer in general. Knowledge is power and I was (and still am) determined to be an active participant in my treatment.

Treat others as you want to be treated. I think this has been the most important aspect of my treatment. I have found that being positive, friendly and open to conversation has been a huge benefit to me. A smile and best foot forward attitude has taken me miles further than wallowing and being angry about having cancer. Nobody like a Debbie Downer, not even your doctors!

Believe in miracles. Don't be afraid to hope for the best possible outcome. Why shouldn't you? Fight hard and know that at the end of the day, you've done everything you can to win, so dust yourself off (add wine if needed!) and march forward. Be a part of your miracle.

To say that it's been a helluva year would be stating the obvious. My whole purpose in starting Craptastic Tuesday was the hope that maybe one person would stumble upon this blog and realize that she needs to get her butt to the doctor and get that rash checked. In reality, Craptastic Tuesday has been my sanity, my voice and my therapy. My sincerest thanks to all of you for reading and letting me share my journey with you.

Erin xoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment