The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Scanxiety

Tomorrow I have my PET scan. Anyone with cancer (past or present) can relate to scan day. It's a mix of dread and anticipation. This is huge, because we'll know if I'm still cancer free or if Kyle has returned. I'm optimistic that I'm cancer free, I feel great, better than I have since before I was pregnant with Simon. I'm hoping those odds will play in my favor. Ironically, I won't get the results tomorrow, so I'm only allowing myself a minor freak out. The PET scan is an easy test and I even get to nap for an hour while I wait for the radioactive materials (neat, huh?) to make their way through my body. So, fingers crossed everyone, it's been almost a year to the day since my original diagnosis and I'm hoping for good news this time around!

Next week I meet with my breast surgeon for a "social visit" as she calls them. In other words, a check-up. I'm excited about this visit because I really love my surgeon. She is such an amazing doctor and more importantly, a fantastic person. She calls my visits "social" because I no longer need mammograms (bonus for having no boobs, score!) and she's basically just checking my progress. I'll drink to that! I also have a bone scan next week to check out how my bones are fairing. Chemo drugs can do a serious number on bone density among other things, so we'll have a look at that. I've also been having some joint pain (likely due to the Herceptin and after effects of chemo) so the scan will see if anything is going on related to that.

So yes, if we're being completely honest, I'm stressed. It's unfortunately very common for breast cancer patients to have set backs and reoccurences, epsecially given the aggressive nature of my type of cancer. I'm hoping to not be one of them, but if I do have to continue on this journey, I'm ready. This time I know what to expect  and I'm confident I will knock Kyle right back down on his ass. I'm feeling so good these days and I'm just hopeful that means nothing but good news :)

No comments:

Post a Comment