The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Vote for Crispy!

Vote for Crispy! Haha, just a little radiation humor for you. My skin is definitely crispy these days. And, the radiation drama continues! My burn opened up over the weekend and is now weeping. It's really lovely... Anyway, yesterday was supposed to be my last overall breast radiation and the rest of my treatments are just boosts to my mastectomy scar (this is the cakewalk part, I'm told). When I laid down on the radiation table, one of the rads therapists was like, "holy cow! Your arm looks bad, we need to have a nurse check on this". So, not one, but three nurses came in and said, "Get her off the table, this is bad". Awesome. Of course, (why wouldn't it be any other way?) my doctor is in South Africa for the next two weeks. So, they had to page the doctor covering for her who was in a meeting. He took a look at my arm and thought that I should have the day off. Luckily, seeing my chart and noting that it was supposed to be my last big treatment, he decided to go for it. Good plan, doc! I don't want my travel plans messed with! He prescribed some antiobiotic cream to put on the burn which is supposed to be "like magic".

So, yeah, my radiation experience has not been the greatest. I will say that I really have enjoyed working with the radiation staff and doctors, they truly have been wonderful. I hope that if you are reading this and at some point have to have radiation, please don't be discouraged by my experience. All things said, I've had a very easy journey through cancerland (so far). My skin is very sensitive and I'm told it's not surprising that my skin has reacted as it has. I'm just ready to be done. One week from tomorrow is my last treatment, yay!! Hopefully the cream they gave me will do the trick. I'm in a decent amount of pain but nothing that some Advil and Real Housewives can't take care of :).

Our weekend was uneventful which was good. We celebrated Steve's birthday at one of our favorite restaurants on Friday night and that was lots of fun. A funny Stella story to share: our main computer died (for like, the 4th time) and Steve decided to get the parts to build a new one. Trust me, my brain started to melt as soon as he mentioned such a geeky thing like that, but he enjoys it so... who am I to judge? ;) Luckily, or so I'm told anyway, we have a Micro Center near us...not a place I can ever say I had been to (or ever need to return to) before Sunday. Stella was excited to go and Steve told her we were going to the "Nerd Store". Well, you can just guess where this is heading. As soon as we walked into the store, Stella announces (quite loudly), "We're at the Nerd Store!!". Yup, proud parenting moment right there. I don't think the people in the store found it funny...

I wasn't sure if I was going to have time to vote today, but I did manage to sneak it in before lunch. Woohoo. This election has been such a non-event in Georgia, it's a little scary. To those of you living in swing states, you have my deepest sympathies. Three cheers for not having to listen to anymore election commercials after today! You'll never know who I voted for, but I do think Mickey Mouse stands a damn good chance of winning this year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment