The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Crazytrain

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! We certainly had a wonderful holidayand I'm so thankful the timing worked out as well as it did. As I mentioned in my last post, I drove the crazytrain up to Virginia, by myself with the two kids. Yes, yes, there are at least 50 things that could have gone wrong, but you know what? The kids were awesome and I was so darn proud of them. If nothing else, my children are extremely flexible and adaptable when need be (well, Simon is MOST of the time...). Of course, I was 80 shades of out of control due to my damn Herceptin treatment running one and a half hours behind. I was LIVID but, unfortunately, this has become the norm there. I'm thankful that I'm on the back end of treatments and not having to be there every week. That's just plan unacceptable. So, anyway, I was running late which makes me certifiably crazy. Ask Steve and he'll tell you that my timetables are ludicris and unattainable. As you might imagine, Steve and I have some of our best disagreements (re: fights) when it comes to travel. I am Miss Punctuality (probably to a fault, I'm working on it, okay?) and he's the original Mr. Leave Everything to the Last Minute and if he says we're leaving at 8, he really means 10... You'd think by now that I would just automatically add two hours to any departure time, but I still just get so fired up. The man has no concept of time!!!! And, I'm WAY off topic, yet again.

So, we headed out 30 minutes past my departure goal, but luckily traffic wasn't bad so we made good time. We stopped in Charlotte to have dinner with our Charlotte family which was fun and a nice break. It was early enough that I felt like I could keep going, so we continued our drive. I stopped in Blacksburg, VA (Go Hokies!) for the night, mainly to rest my eyes. Of course the kids fell asleep in the car, so when we arrived at the hotel, they were ready to party. Which they did until about 11, but then slept so I really can't complain. I am 100% sure that everyone at the hotel enjoyed watching me play sherpa. I really hadn't thought through the whole getting into the hotel with two kids plus all of our crap. Neat. A very nice older gentleman did hold the door for me as we were leaving...

All in all, we had a wonderful trip home to Virginia. I nearly had the entire time I was home booked, but it was so nice to see old friends. To those I missed, hopefully we can catch up the next time I'm home! I'll tell you what, there's truly no better medicine than being around those who've known you forever and pick up just right where you left off. I'm so, so lucky to have such wonderful friends and family. Stella had a blast at my parents house and even shouted when we pulled up the driveway, "we're at the farm!". What??? My parents don't live on a farm. She also referred to my dad as, "Kitty, the farmer" all week. That child is so very entertaining!

The only kicker to our trip was me being sick. Of course, I mean, god forbid everything be perfect. On my last day of radiation I was slightly considering that I might be dying. That's code for: I know I have a sinus infection and it's probably time to deal with it. I don't know why I always let them get so bad, but I HATE going to the doctor. Ironic, no? So, I quickly ran over to the "doc in the box" aka: Walgreens where I was correctly diagnosed with a sinus infection. She asked me what drugs I wanted and then laughed and told me "no" when I asked for Levaquin. Seriously, don't ask me what I want and then deny me, it's just mean. So, she put me on Ammoxicillan. I knew it wouldn't be strong enough, but I felt so bad that I didn't care. Off I went with my drugs. I was actually feeling better the next day, so I was optimistic that it was working. However, I never really felt any improvement. By Wednesday at home, I was feeling pretty crappy again, so off to the Winchester urgent care I went. Well, my lovely "little" sinus infection had turned into bronchitis and borderline pneumonia. Super cheers! Ugh, I was so annoyed, but the doctor was awesome and gave me my Levaquin and some other good drugs. I am finally starting to feel better, but darn it, how frustrating!!

So, that's my vacation in a nutshell. I"m in the process of getting all of the Christmas decorations up. I've grossly underestimated the time that takes with two small children running around. Yes, Simon is now walking, eeek! Pray for me, and if you don't think that's enough, have a few glasses of wine instead. Holy Moses, what have I gotten myself into???

No comments:

Post a Comment