The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

It's A Small World After All...

Over the weekend Steve and I attended a birthday party for my chemo friend Kate. She was celebrating her 30th birthday along side her sister who was celebrating her 40th birthday (they don't share the same day but decided to have a joint party to celebrate their big milestones). We had so much fun! We thought it was really sweet of Kate to invite us, especially since we wouldn't know anyone there other than her parents. Well, in the strange way that fate works, we ended up knowing some people at the party! What a small world! Randomly someone Steve works with was there; she's good friends with Kate's sister. Even more interesting, Kate's sister is a Delta Gamma, as am I, how cool is that? A bunch of her UGA (that's Univ of Georgia for those outside the state) DG sisters were there so I had a chance to meet and chat with them. Needless to say, they were fantastic and I'm looking forward to attending some of the Atlanta DG alumni events with them.

We had a great time at the party and I'm so glad that Kate had something to celebrate because she's really had a tough time. We were "reunited" on Friday, our treatment days finally coinciding again. She was hoping that Friday was going to be her final round of chemo (she had a two treatment extension when it was discovered that her tumor had not shrunk enough for surgery) but now they're telling her she may have to do four more rounds. Kate's pissed but being a total rockstar about it. She's so strong, I'm not sure I'd be dealing with the situation quite as well. But, as she said, what other choice do I have? And, she's right, the only thing she can do is keep fighting and hope that the chemo finally does it's job. I know I'll be along side her, cheering her on.

I hate to say that I was right...but I'm RIGHT!! Didn't I mention a few weeks ago that I thought a hurricane was brewing? Hello Isaac! In all seriousness, I'm truly hoping that all he brings is rain to those who need it most. Fingers and toes crossed on all fronts. We're feeling the effects of Isaac is Atlanta today, it's dumping buckets of rain and is super humid. While we need the rain, I'm really only prepared to deal with a day of this mess. I'm already feeling a little stir crazy and it's only been half a day of rain...

A few things for you to make you thankful you don't live in my house: 1) Recently, the only way I can get Simon to eat dinner is to play the "Hot Dog Dance" (from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse). You may think I'm kidding, but I'm really not. He goes from pushing the spoon away and screaming to complete and utter joy and I can't shovel the food in fast enough. Yes, I too find the whole thing to be weird and a little bizzarre... 2) Stella is practicing to be a moutain climber. Yesterday during "naptime" she climbed up onto her dresser and then climbed up onto her floating shelves to get something down. WHAT??? How is this even possible? I have no idea how the shelves didn't collapse, they're not very strong. When I went in to check on her (it was quiet, I was suspicious), she coudn't have been more proud of herself. So, yeah, good times all around here in crazytown...

No comments:

Post a Comment