The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A Will and a Way

We had a nice, semi-uneventful weekend. The weather was absolutely fantastic, so perfect (temps in the mid-80's, not an ounce of humidity) that it makes you wonder what's lurking... is a hurricane brewing out there somewhere? Those weather conditions are rare in Georgia in the middle of August. So, yes we spent much of the weekend outdoors which was great! We also had dinner with a good friend of Steve's from college, it was nice to catch up with him.

The Bed Wars continue to rage in our house. I had another small victory yesterday. Opting to not run up the steps 500 times during "naptime", I broke out the big guns and set up the pack-n-play. To most 2 year olds (and maybe I'm really wrong about this) it would be upsetting to be demoted to naptime in the pack-n-play. Not Stella! She was seriously so excited to sleep in her "crib" as she calls it... While I did curtail the constant out-of-the-bed, destroy-my-room behavior, she's still the master of conversation and strategy. The child can talk to herself and the bedroom furniture for HOURS. It's simply amazing. She also knows that if she wings her NNP (night night pink - her tag blanket and current BFF) out of the pack-n-play and screams loud enough, I'll eventually come upstairs with my hair on fire. However, being the accomplished general that I am in times like this, I have been resisting the screams. Well, at least about 60% of the time. I have to play my cards right, because if she yells and screams loud enough to wake up Simon, then Houston, we really have a problem.

I had a post-surgery check-up with my breast surgeon yesterday. She was absolutely pleased with my progress. I'm way ahead of where I should be...full range of motion in both arms, able to lift 10 lbs (um, actually more like 30lbs since I've been picking Stella and Simon up for weeks now).  I'm an overachiever and I'm way too competitive, and apparently this also includes recovering from surgery. But, honestly, I don't have time to wait around and feel better, so I willed myself to feel better and TA-DA - I do! Maybe I have a high pain tolerance (though I strongly doubt that) or I'm just lucky that my body has been so cooperative these past 7 months, I have no idea but I'm certainly not complaining. My surgeon and I talked again about my pathology report which she still says is just amazing. I had a complete reponse to chemo (meaning the cancer is 100% gone, a perfect scenerio in cancer-land!) and that's as good as it gets! She also mentioned how proud of me she was and the way I've handled the situation. As I told her, it just hasn't been that hard for me; I haven't been sick, felt too bad or had any major setbacks (knock on wood). Maybe if I had been really sick or something I would feel completely different. Yes, dealing with cancer has been a major time comittement and a serious pain in the ass, but I don't know that it's necessarily been a bad experience. I see it more as my life needing a change in direction and perspective. For that, I'll always be thankful. Attitude is so important, in all aspects of living. Cancer may have chosen me, but I had the choice on how I would fight back. I chose to have a positive outlook and focus on living, no exceptions. I dealt with my cancer as I would with any competitive sport: I have to win and I have to win big.

So, after a giant hug and a happy dance later, I said good-bye to my breast surgeon. I don't get to see her again for 6 months. Out of my medical team, she's my favorite. I can't thank her enough, not only for her medical expertise and excellent care, but for believing in me and giving me the one thing I needed most: HOPE.

No comments:

Post a Comment