The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Halfway!

Yes! As of Friday, I am halfway through my chemo treatments, wahoo! I am so glad that things are rolling right along. I met with my oncologists' PA on Friday, she's great and I enjoyed chatting with her. I was thinking that I would be having another PET scan soon to see what Kyle was up to, but I won't have to do that until I am finished with chemo (yay!). My next step will be to meet with the breast surgeon after my 4th round of chemo (coming up) and check on Kyle via mammogram, ultrasound, and MRI. So, look out buddy, GAME ON! I am really hoping for good news, my rash is gone and I haven't had any other issues to speak of. Of course, I am also trying to prepare myself for what I am referring to as "realistic" news in that things are maybe not quite as good as we had hoped. However, there is absolutely NO POINT on dwelling on something that is completely out of my control at this stage. Right now I have no reason not to think that I am quite soundly kicking Kyle's ass and reclaiming my life. So...fingers, toes, eyes crossed etc.

Friday's chemo was good, I had a chance to hang out with Kate for most of the morning. We spent time shopping online for cute headwear (yay for iPads!) and chatted about our experience with cancer so far. I have to say it's nice to have someone going through this that's close to my age. My treatment facility is wonderful and I adore the staff but I am on the very young side compared to most of the patients. That in itself can be very intimidating because some of the older patients are very, very ill. Most of the time I can see the positive of it all, but watching patients in different stages of their battle with cancer is eye opening and overwhelming. I've had the chance to do a lot of observation since I've been diagnosed with IBC. What impacts me most? Probably seeing the various support systems that patients have in place. None of us could do this alone, one doesn't work without the other. I am humbled as I watch the eldery couples sit hand in hand, treatment after treatment, neither willing to give up what life has offered or taken from them. I am so grateful every single day for the chances I've been given and now, this opportunity to reflect upon the things that matter the most to me.

It's going to be a short blog week for me! We're headed to the Hinman Family Compound on the coast in South Carolina for Easter. Oh yes, the beach :) Sun, sand, ocean, family, perhaps a "little" wine to add in that extra kick for relaxation. In fact, I'm supposed to be packing right now... Hopefully the car trip won't be too insane (is it ever not with kids?!?!) and I won't forget to pack half of what we need. I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter and beautiful weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment