The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Monday, March 12, 2012

Kicking Kyle's Ass

I'm here, not to worry! I took a break over the weekend from technology and it was a nice little vacation. I had my second round of chemo on Friday and it went well. It was much shorter, only about 3 hours this time instead of 5. I am happy to report that I am not really having any pain this time around, just a touch of dizziness. I'm pretty tired, but overall, I feel pretty good! I met with my oncologist and guess what...my rash is almost gone!! She was absolutely pleased with my outward progress! Good news and an excellent way to start the weekend :) My parents flew into Atlanta to help us out with the kids over the weekend which was wonderful. I was able to catch up on some rest and enjoy the beautiful weather. I feel like my recovery is a little faster this time, but maybe that's just wishful thinking! Steve and I even managed to sneak out for dinner last night, just the two of us. I almost feel like I see him more now that I have cancer, than I did before all of this hit!

Steve shaved his head this weekend too, so now we are a "matching set". One of these days I'll get the guts up to take a picture of us together with no hair! I'm not quite there yet, but I will be. I do have to say that my morning routine has dramatically improved, having a shaved head gives new meaning to "wash and go"! That I could definintely get used to!

I'm starting to make some friends in the chemo lounge. On Friday, there a a girl who was starting her first round of chemo, she's stage 3 breast cancer. She's only 29 years old and a teacher, like me. She and I are the youngest patients that I've seen at our office, but I'm sure we're not alone. It was interesting talking to her and her parents (they were with her as she's not married or dating anyone currently...we had a lot of time to chat!). They were so scared and overwhelmed, it sent me right back to the week I was diagnosed, fresh memories again. There isn't a whole lot you can say other than I'm so sorry, take it one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time. I was glad I had a chance to chat with her mom for a bit, she even seemed a little more optimistic when we left. Her mom was floored to know we're dealing with cancer and two little kids. Yes, it can always be worse, much worse. But, we're making it work. And at the end of the day, I can sleep at night knowing that I've done everything in my power to fight this disease, even if that just means keeping up a positive attitude, it's something I've got control over. Is that the secret for beating this? I'm not sure, but I can promise you this: I'm in it for the long haul, and I'm not looking back. Kyle can kiss my ass!

No comments:

Post a Comment