The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Breakup

You know it was bound to happen at some point. All good things must come to an end. I've been absolutely spoiled by my wonderful medical team. Well, that fantasy world came to a screeching halt last Wednesday afternoon. While vacationing in the mountains for Memorial Day weekend, my allergies fired themselves up something fierce. By Tuesday I felt downright terrible and when I woke up on Wednesday I decided a trip to the doctor was in order. My ENT had told me that if I started having trouble with my sinuses again to see him first. I called and was able to schedule an appointment with him that afternoon. That morning, my ear had also started to throb and then became blocked so everything sounded muffled. That was definitely a new symptom, I rarely have trouble with my ears.


Have you ever felt so awful that you just cried? That's how bad I felt by the time I got to the doctor's office. Needless to say, when he walked in, I had tears running down my face even though I was trying to hold it together since the kids were with me. His first words to me were: "why are you crying?", not hello, how are you, sounds like you're feeling bad. And he didn't say it nicely, he said, "why are you crying" like I was some sort of moron for even being there. So, yes, the visit was already off to a bad start. So, I replied like any emotionally exhausted female would and said, "I just feel terrible, I'm in so much pain". Dr. DoucheBag (which is how I shall now refer to him) replied by saying, "well, ear pain shouldn't be enough to make you cry". At this point I just stared at him, at a loss for words (shocking, I know). He went on to say that we've gone over several times about this ear pain - I stopped him at that point and I said that I had never complained of ear pain to him. That shut him up for about 2 seconds before he continued on about how ear pain really isn't that bad. Oh okay, then I guess I can go ahead a register at the funny farm because I'm surely making all of this up. ASS! I so, so, so wish I'd been in the state of mind to make a really sarcastic comeback, but I was barely functioning at that point. What I should have said was, "Oh, right. See, here's the thing. I've birthed two children, had several major surgeries AND been hit by my own car where I was knocked unconscious and broke a few bones. We won't even mention the dislocated fingers. And you know what? I didn't cry during ANY of that. So don't tell me what pain is you FREAKING JERK!!!".


Wow, guess I'm still a little pissed. Anyway, Dr. DB concluded the visit by telling me that there was nothing wrong. I couldn't believe that given how bad a felt, that there was nothing seriously wrong. He must have felt slightly sorry for me, because he did give me a steroid/ vitamin B12 shot to help with the immediate symptoms. Nothing like a shot in the butt to round out my feeling of complete mortification. I will be breaking with up with Dr. DB. Here's to hoping I don't need an ENT anytime in the near future...


We had a wonderful trip to the Georgia Blue Ridge mountains. The weather mostly cooperated and we all have a great time. Some highlights from the trip included gem stone mining (very fun if you've never done that, the kids loved it!), dads and kids fishing, moms relaxing in the rocking chairs on the back deck overlooking the mountains and plenty of champagne to accompany us. We're looking forward to the next time we can head to the mountains!

No comments:

Post a Comment