The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Friday, May 2, 2014

Updates in Cancerland

Camp Hope was once of the most amazing experiences I've ever had in my life. Honestly, I knew it would be awesome but I just didn't realize how incredibly awesome it would be. I made some wonderful new friends, 5 of which share my oncologist. Needless to say, we had lots to talk about. I can't really explain how good it feels to be around people who just "get it". I was amazed, horrified, encouraged and touched by each person's experience. That's the funny thing about cancer: each and every person has a unique experience, and no two people share exactly the same journey. Maybe that's why we all bonded as quickly as we did. We could skip the OMG, you have/ had cancer, how are you feeling? stuff and get straight to the living and moving forward part. And, oh, what a refreshing experience that was! I am so grateful and honored that I was able to take part in such a caring, fun and most importantly, meaningful weekend. I should also add that Camp Twin Lakes is an absolutely gorgeous place, filled with so much hope and courage. Please check them out, they are such a special group of people!


Continuing in the realm of all things cancer related, I had major drama yesterday at treatment. My port decided it would be great fun to cop a major attitude and refuse to work. NEAT (<--- extreme sarcasm here). I did bends, twists, breathing/ not breathing, sitting up, lying down, you name it. NOTHING WORKED. This is not good for two reasons. One, it means that something is up with the port and two, I would have to have TPA injected into my port (which is essentially liquid Drain-O, lovely, right???). That's all well and good except that TPA requires AT LEAST 30 minutes to work before they can try flushing the port again and getting blood return (which they have to have because I have to have my blood tested before I can have treatment). Well friends, I got a little pissy with the staff (Irish temper rears it's ugly head) because there was no way on earth I could spend an extra hour or two there waiting for the Drain-O when I HAD to pick up the kids from school. So, I told them what they were going to do (and I'm really not a demanding person, but if I've learned nothing else from the cancer crap, it's that I have to be my own advocate) and if they wouldn't do that, then I was leaving. Well, the stars aligned for a brief moment yesterday and my wishes were granted. STAT. How 'bout them apples?!?!? I even ended up being a few minutes early to pick up the kids! But, in all seriousness, I'm considered an "old timer" at this point and I'm not a complainer, so I'm glad I spoke up. Of course, my speaking up meant getting jabbed with two additional needles, an IV in my hand and Herceptin thru the IV. But, whatever... The good news is that they also put the TPA in my port and it did eventually work. Lawd have mercy...


In other news, Steve and I have decided to participate in the Tour de Pink here in Atlanta. It's a bike race to raise money for the YSC. and their research in finding a sure for breast cancer. We have revived our team: When Irish Chicks Are Fighting that my awesome sisters created when they walked the 3 Day in 2012. Steve and I have pledged that we're going to ride 100 miles - because we are completely crazy we're feeling up to the challenge! Please consider making a donation or coming out to cheer us on October 25th. So, at some point I need to get a bike and do something called "exercise". I'll keep you posted on my training (or lack there of!).



No comments:

Post a Comment