The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Friday, January 10, 2014

Bullet Dodging

I saw my dermatologist on Tuesday. She took one look at me and said, "That is definitely (some kind, I can't remember) a terrific case of eczema". She was so convinced it's a skin issue, she decided to not do a biopsy at this time. She wants to treat the eczema and then if it's not better in a couple of weeks, she'll do a biopsy. The dermatologist also thinks I have developed some kind of skin allergy/ sensitivity. That's not surprising given the amount of radiation I had and the types of drugs my body has been exposed to. Plus, throw in a few surgeries, outrageous weather (4 degrees in Georgia is just stupid, in my opinion) and it's no wonder my skin is royally pissed off. It was somewhat surreal chatting with my dermatologist as I hadn't seen her since the beginning of this journey. I know she was as excited to see me as I was to see her. If it hadn't been for her doing the original biopsy and trusting her instincts (not to mention her wheeling and dealing to get me into my breast surgeon in a New York minute), I would be willing to bet the farm that I wouldn't be sitting here typing this today. I brought the kids with me- is there any greater fun (and I mean that as sarcastically as possible) than dragging two toddlers to a doctors appointment that has nothing to do with them? Luckily for me, schools were closed on Tuesday due to the extreme temperatures. And no, I wasn't upset that schools were closed, I can't imagine kids waiting outside for the bus in those kinds of conditions. So, after begging the kids to behave and bribing them with a trip to Target afterwards (and a little help from my iPad, thank you modern technology!), the kids cooperated. Chatting with my dermatologist, we realized that our daughters were born on the same day and year, at the same hospital. How's that for fate working in the most amazing way?!?! It really was wonderful seeing her and having a chance to thank her again for playing a crucial role in saving my life.


As for my lovely rash, it has now spread everywhere. I just feel so damn glamorous... The dermatologist wrote me a prescription for a special kind of skin cream. That would be great except that the pharmacy had to special order it and won't arrive until Tuesday of next week. So, please excuse me as I itch myself to death... I do have some heavy duty lotion I'm using from a past incident with my skin and it's helping a little bit. I find wine to be the most helpful in this situation :)


I had a check-up with my oncologist yesterday, mostly so I could relay to her what the dermatologist said and for her to take a look at the rash. I was also cleared for treatment which was good since I had to miss last week. We both decided that I look like I'm suffering from some sort of tropical ailment and had a good laugh about it. And that's why I love my doctor's, they're not afraid to joke around with me or ask questions about how are family is doing. My oncologist routinely reminds me that she thinks I'm crazy for having two toddlers and a puppy...


I turned another year older this week. Can't say I'm particularly excited about that as I'm approaching my late 30's, GAH! I did get a Fitbit Flex for my birthday and have already developed a love/ hate relationship with it. I swear this morning it called me a fatass when I stepped on the scale. This week I'm not really changing anything in my routine, mostly just observing what things are like without making a point to exercise, eat right etc. I can tell you that I've already learned so much and I have a LOT of work to do. So, with that in mind, I'm off to burn some calories :)

No comments:

Post a Comment