The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

When Irish Eyes Are Smiling

Steve and I have news! We booked our tickets to Ireland for June! We're both so excited and have been talking about travelling to Ireland for years. When I was first diagnosed, we decided that we would make an effort to make this trip happen once I finished treatment. Well, I'm not officially finished treatment since I'm still on Hercpetin but it's close enough. Our 7th (wait, what???) wedding anniversary will be in June (June 17th) and what better way to celebrate than a trip from our bucket list. Before you ask, I will obviously be staying in a castle at LEAST one night, more if I can swing it. We're doing this trip "Hinman Style" which means we're renting a car and doing the touring on our own. So excited about that! Steve is excited because he got a ridiculous deal on our rental car ~ $95 for the week. What's the catch? Come on, a deal that good must have some sort of catch, right? Well, the car is manual. Not a huge deal until you remember that the Irish drive on the left. Damn. Oh well, nothing like a few near death experiences to pump up the volume on vacation. At least Steve will be driving, I plan to take my job as CNO (that's cheif navigation officer) very seriously. He's put me in charge of planning the trip (weeee, the planner in me is BEYOND ecstatic at this opportunity!) and I'm in the process of planning out our route. We're flying into and out of Shannon and plan on focusing most of our trip off the beaten path. Eat your heart out Anthony Bourdain! Stay tuned, I'm sure there will be lots more discussion about this trip in the weeks to come.

We had a nice little round of severe weather here on Monday night. Not all that shocking for the south this time of year, but normally that type of weather is predicted and it wasn't for Monday. So, for the 5th time I ran upstairs to turn off the alarm on the weather radio (we keep it in our bedroom, mainly because if there's an alert in the middle of the night, we'll actually hear it). They kept adding new severe thunderstorm warnings for us but nothing was happening (famous last words, I know). I was feeding the kids dinner when I thought I heard the tornado sirens going off outside (such a creepy sound if you don't live in an area that has them). I poked my head outside and sure enough, they were blasting! Naturally, I decided to bide my time and gamble a bit with the storm. I should also mention it wasn't actually doing anything at the time. Plus, who wants to take food away from hungry toddlers? As the kids were finishing up dinner I noticed that the sky was growing dark very quickly. I ran into the den and turned on the TV. Within 5 seconds of the TV being on, the satelite cut off. My cue it's about to get ugly. As I walk back into the kitchen, I notice the sky is now a wicked shade of green. And, I'm done - I grabbed the kids (with Stella still eating) and rushed them into the basrment. Then, ran back upstairs to get the dogs who are beyond confused. Just as I shut the basement doors, the hail began. It was quite a storm. We probably had an inch of hail in under 10 minutes. Wouldn't  you know that within 5 minutes of being in the basement, Stella announced she had to poop. GREAT, honey! I should add that we don't have a bathroom in the basement as it's unfinished. So, juding the worst part of the storm to be over, the kids and I trudged back up the stairs for the bathroom extravaganza. Happy to report all systems go in that arena.

Stella loved the "snow"! Luckily, our property seemed to escape damage but I do think we'll need to have our roof checked. Never a dull moment here, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment