The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Monday, February 10, 2014

"Snice"

Here we are, Monday again and waiting on another winter storm. Yes, we are all aware of the incoming snow/ ice/ sleet/ sh!tstorm bearing down upon Atlanta (as most of us were a couple of weeks ago, just not the state officials, but I digress...). The governor has even declared a preemptive state of emergency just to liven things up a bit. I can promise you that our fair city will not be caught with it's pants down again :). The forecast is sounding rather ominous and given the fact that I have a million things to do this week, I'm sure we'll be "sniced" in (that's what I'm now referring to as the snow-ice combo we seem to always get here. Try not to be too jealous of my superior mental capabilities...) for the rest of the week. Ironically, my kids are off of school Thursday thru next Tuesday. I was already trying to figure out what we were going to do for the "mid-winter" break (also known as teacher furlough days) and now the weather gods are going to add more days to my conundrum. If it does indeed precipitate, it's quite possible that I may lose my mind. Or what's left of it. Whatever...


I meant to update the blog on Friday but I had a sinus headache that I just couldn't kick. I just couldn't bring myself to stare blankly at the computer screen and I couldn't get the Doc McStuffins theme song to stop spinning around wildly in my brain. I resorted to my time-tested fix-all, which involves several beers, advil and sleep. This was while after the kids went to bed. I think... My poor liver, I know, but desperate times and besides, my liver felt fine... Anyway, my sinus headache is still around, but much improved. 'Tis the season for me.


Perhaps another contributor to my headache was my treatment appointment last Thursday, which turned out to be a royal cluster. My appointment was for 10:30 in the morning, which is when I almost always have treatment. It gives me time with morning traffic and them plenty of time if they're running behind, which they always are. Thursday's appointment was my reschedule from the week before, or SnowJam 2014. I arrived on time and was hoping to be out a little early so that I could run a quick errand. At 12:30, when I still hadn't started treatment, I was furious and frazzled. That's a really bad combination for me, in case you were curious. Please keep in mind that pick up time for the kids is 1:00. My Herceptin infusion runs over a period of 30 minutes at a minimum, sometimes a little longer (which, at $15,000 a pop, you're damn right that I want every last drop). So, mathematically speaking, it was obvious I was going to be very late picking up the kids. I did call the school to let them know I was hooked up to an IV and short of me throwing the IV pole over my shoulder and ramming it into my SUV, I was going to be late. The school staff of course, were amazing and very understanding, but I was SO upset. I am NOT a late person and being late makes me over-the-top mad. Just ask Steve...


I sincerely hope that Atlanta doesn't make the national (or international) news this week. The fact that it was over 60 degrees Saturday and Sunday have me somewhat skeptical that we're going to get much in the way of accumulation. That said, I'll be skeptical from my nice, warm house in the off chance that hell does indeed freeze over and it's snicing in Georgia :).



No comments:

Post a Comment