The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Thursday, October 3, 2013

"Pinktober"

October has arrived and with it comes National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Most people are familiar with the pink ribbon and it's symbol representing breast cancer awareness. While I do think BC awareness is extremely important, I can't help but wonder that certainly we are all AWARE of breast cancer at this point? I wish the theme could be changed to Breast Cancer Education Month. I would love to see more funding contributed to research and new drugs for treatment. Will there ever be a cure for breast cancer (or cancer in general)? I'd like to hope so, but in the meantime, new drugs are becoming available everyday to beat down and conquer this disease.

In honor of "Pinktober", I thought I would share some highlights regarding breast cancer that are not always on the front page of the media.

* In 2013, an estimated 232,340 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed among women.

*In 2013, approximately 39,620 women are expected to DIE from breast cancer. Only lung cancer accounts for more deaths among women.

* A woman living in the United States has a 1 in 8 (12.3%) lifetime risk of being diagnosed with breast cancer.

* It is estimated that 5 - 10% of all breast cancers are inherited mutations (including BRCA 1 & 2). These mutations are present in less than 1% of the population.

*** Thanks to the American Cancer Society (cancer.org) for the information

Do you find these numbers as alarming as I do? I know scientists, researchers, organizations and many more diligent people are working feverishly to combat and contain this disease. If you are thinking of making a donation towards breast cancer funding during the month of October (or anytime), I would encourage you to question where your donation is going. So much more time, effort, energy and knowledge is waiting to be discovered in regard to breast cancer treatment. I'm a perfect example of drugs literally saving my life. My breast cancer is Her 2+, which 10 years ago was basically considered a death sentence. Along came the drug Herceptin, created to directly target cells overexpressing Her 2+ and suddenly, women with this type of breast cancer were not only beating back the cancer, but most importantly, reaching "No Evidence of Disease" status, which is the best news possible. So, without the drug Herceptin, who knows if I'd even be here today writing to you about how important research is. I'm proud to say that I've been "No Evidence of Disease" for almost 18 months now.

Breast cancer has changed my life in many, many ways and mostly for the better. I feel extremely grateful for the excellent care and support I have received throughout this journey. No one should ever have to endure this alone and I truly believe that because of my wonderful support system, I have thrived and conquered this beast. My battle is a continuous journey, one that I don't take lightly. I hope that I can be a positive light for those fighting back the darkness to become a survivor. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my thoughts (and ramblings mostly!) and for giving me the courage and strength to keep marching forward - I love each and every one of you.

- Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment