The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Monday, February 18, 2013

Keep Calm and Herceptin On

I met with my oncologist on Friday to go over the results from the scans I had done recently. All in all, they were good. There are some areas of "interest" but not necesarily concern. Most notably, my skin has shown some changes. My oncologist is confident that this is (yet another) side effect from radiation. Considering how badly I burned at the conclusion of radiation (crispy is the best word I can come up with to describe that little experience), this news is not surprising. However, given that I have IBC and it's main pathway is via the skin, she is going to be keeping an extra close eye on me for a while. Oh great, just what I was hoping for!

So, Friday was supposed to be my final Herceptin treatment. Protocol (for IBC, Her 2 + cancer) is typically chemo and one full year of Herceptin. You know where this is going, right? My oncologist feels like taking me off of the Herceptin right now is asking for trouble. She wants me to stay on it for the "forseeable" future and basically use it as an insurance policy. We'll redo the PET scan in a couple of months to make sure my skin is behaving as it should.While I am bummed to not be finished with my treatments, I do understand and agree with her recommendation. Going cold turkey scares the bazingas out of me. Being that my cancer is Her 2 + and not hormone receptor positive (ER or PR), I cannot take any of the maintenence drugs that are commonly prescribed after treatements are completed. In my case, Herceptin is the force field (yeah sci fi nerds!) keeping my cancer at bay.

I was so hoping to be able to share the exciting news that I'm completely done with treatments and on my way to Tahiti. Alas, the news is certainly not bad, I don't currently have cancer. I just don't get to leave the chemo lounge yet. I'm working on keeping my chin up and celebrating my victories, of which there have been many. Still, it really stings to know this journey isn't over. Oh well, live to fight another day, right? I can't really complain, I don't have any side effects from the Herceptin (other than having terrible nails - seriously, Simon's nails look better than mine). My hair is growing just fine while on Herceptin. In fact, my oncologist thinks I need to put green or blue streaks in it, because according to her, I can pull off the "punk" look. I'm not sure that was a compliment? Anyhow, back to the grind. "Keep Calm and Herceptin On"...

No comments:

Post a Comment