The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The New Team Member

Did I mention that my primary physician referred me to an ENT? I saw her a few weeks ago after finally admitting that my sinus headache might actually kill me. After several weeks and almost finishing a Costco size bottle of ibuprofen, enough was enough. My primary doc was not super excited about me coming to see her again, with more sinus issues. So, she pumped me full of steroids and antibiotics along with making me swear I would see an ENT. Very soon. Conveniently, the ENT she recommended is literally right next to her office, so I walked in and made an appointment for the following week. Make that 5 of my doctors in the same building - how's that for one-stop shopping?!?! Sometimes I feel like I'm managing a team with all of these doctors! The ENT did a thorough exam of my nose (what a gross job, seriously) and shot up some kind of numbing junk. He then proceeded to take a culture of the insides of my sinuses. Absolutely lovely. He called last week to say that the culture didn't show anything "significant", so he wanted to have a CT of my sinuses. I had that done today. It was the easiest scan ever (less than a minute) and we went over my results immediately. I will admit I was quite fascinated looking at the inside of my head and he was kind enough to share my enthusiasm. So, to make a long story short, my sinuses are pretty jacked up and diagnosed me with chronic sinusitis. He's putting me on two weeks worth of steroids and a month (A MONTH!) of antibiotics. Yeehaw. But, fingers crossed this will do the trick and I won't need sinus surgery, which is what next if this infection doesn't clear up.


Speaking of surgery, my final (really hoping this is a true statement!) breast reconstruction surgery is April 7. I'm so excited to be almost finished! I met with my surgical team yesterday to go over the plan and then headed over to the hospital for surgery pre-testing. You know you're at the hospital WAY too much when entire new wings and departments have been added and you can reminisce with the staff over how things used to be. Luckily, this is a minor surgery, so I didn't need much in the way of testing.


I had my normal Herceptin treatment last week and my port decided it would be fun to act like a jackass. After a round of calisthenics, several different nurses and finally lying down flat, the stupid thing finally cooperated. The port is a wonderful thing, but when it doesn't work, life gets complicated. Good times here in cancerland!

No comments:

Post a Comment