The Gang's All Here!

The Gang's All Here!

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Moving On!

Drumroll please! PET Scan results came back completely clean!!! We are so thrilled and excited to have good news. My oncologists PA called me with the results last Thursday which was fantastic because my appointment with the oncologist isn't until this Friday. That's a long time to wait! So, she called as we were leaving for Savannah and that certainly made for a much more celebratory trip! As they say in breast cancer land, I am continuing my dance with NED (no evidence of disease)! NED and I are having a great relationship and I hope to keep it that way! For the record, the word "cure" is rarely used with breast cancer, even those who have been free and clear for years.  Rather, you are considered NED or sometimes "in remission".

I had a follow-up visit with my radiation oncologist today and she (along with the entire staff) were so pleased with my progress. It's funny, I was probably the most frustrated/ exhausted with radiation out of all of my treatments and I loved that staff the most. They were so warm, friendly and genuinely cared about their patients. All of the techs I worked with came out to see me today and give hugs and meet the kids. The nurses came by to say hello and love on the kids as well. Due to my awesome progress, I have been officially released from treatment there, how fantastic is that?!?! While I am sad to say good-bye, it's a good thing. It's time for me to move on and get back to the circus. The show must go on and the acts need their ringmaster ;)

Steve and I had a great (probably too great, if we're being honest) time in Savannah. The kids had a blast with my parents and other than the absolutely horrendous weather, everyone survived! My house still looks like several tornadoes came through, but 5 days straight of rain will do that...

I have my official visit with the oncologist this Friday. I'm not worried about it, especially knowing that my PET scan looked great. However, it will be good to discuss with her our plan going forward (I'm 99% sure she's going to keep me on the Herceptin) and when I can schedule my next surgery. My next surgery should (from everything I've heard and read) be a piece of cake compared to the first one. It's bascially just to have my tissue expander taken out and replaced with an implant. I'm so ready to be done with that thing, it's like having a coconut shell instead of a boob - sorry boys, bear with me. The only thing that could potentially ruin my appointment on Friday is my port. That damn thing better cooperate - not that I can do anything about it, but still, work with me here!! So, please keep your fingers crossed for me (and the entire nursing staff) that all goes smoothly on Friday. Drinks on me!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment